Blacksmithing Book Reviews
As an avid reader I’ve collected a large library of blacksmithing books some great and some not so great. It’s always a struggle to find good quality reviews so I thought I’d put together my impressions.
For each book you can click on the title and find my detailed review as well as affiliate links to buy the book, a link to a free PDF for public domain works, and more information.
With this resource you should be able to find the best book for you if you’re a beginner, an accomplished smith, looking for inspiration, or a historical resource.
- Cost: Free: $0 – $: $1-$25 – $$: $25-$50 – $$$: $75+
- Philip’s Ranking: My own personal impression of the book.
- 1: Either just a bad book or with a niche so narrow it will be useful to very few smiths.
- 2: Probably a pass.
- 3: A good book but likely has a limited audience.
- 4: Solid book to purchase.
- 5: Should be a strong consideration for any blacksmithing library.
- Beginner Blacksmith: How good is this book for someone who is just starting out in blacksmithing. A high ranking indicates it does a good job explaining how to get started blacksmithing and provides good starter projects.
- Advanced Blacksmith: Does the book cover more advanced topics that are appropriate to a blacksmith that has already mastered the basic skills and is looking for more advanced techniques or projects.
- Inspiration: Is the book good to inspire in your blacksmithing. Books that score high in this category will be focused on pretty pictures or drawings of ironwork.
- Historical: The book has good historical information about blacksmiths, blacksmithing, old work, architecture, tools, or related areas of interest.
This is a work in progress. I’ve listed all my planned book reviews and am trying to add 1-2 reviews per day until they are all completed.
Planned Book Reviews
|Title||Author||Cost||Philip’s Ranking||Beginner Blacksmith||Advanced Blacksmith||Inspiration||Historical||Video Review|
|Forge & Anvil||Alan Rogers|
|Colonial Ironwork in old Philadelphia||Philip B. Wallace|
|A Pattern Book of Tools and Household Goods||Early American Industries Association with Peabody Essex Museum|
|Decorative and Sculptural Ironwork: Tools, Techniques, Inspiration for Modern Blacksmithing||Dona Z. Meilach||$|
|The Blacksmith’s Craft: A Primer of Tools & Methods||Charles McRaven|
|Practical Blacksmithing||M.T. Richardson|
|Practical Blacksmithing and Metalwork: Second Edition||Percy W. Blandford|
|Decorative Ironwork: some aspects of design and technique||Council for Small Industries in Rural Areas|
|The Blacksmith’s Craft: Fundamentals & Techniques||Cosira|
|Wrought Ironwork: Forms, production, & Assembly||Cosira|
|The Art Of Blacksmithing||Alex W. Bealer|
|Tranditional Blacksmithing: The Fine Art of Horseshowing and Wagon Making||J. G. Holmstrom|
|Blacksmith’s Manual Illustrated||J.W. Lillico|
|Chain & Anchormaking In The Black Country||Ron Moss|
|Catalogue Of The Prehistoric Metalwork In Merseyside Country Museums||Susan M. Nicholson|
|Anvils In America||Richard Postman|
|Wrought Iron In Architecture: An Illustrated Survey||Gerald K. Geerlings|
|The Complete Guide to Sharpening||Leonard Lee|
|Metalwork & Enamelling||Herbert Maryon|
|The Blacksmith’s Guide||J.F. Sallows|
|Steel Working And Tool Dressing||Warren Casterlin|
|Spanish Ironwork||Arthur Byne, Mildred Byne|
|Sheet Metal Workers Manual||Broemel|
|The Blacksmith’s Craft||Rural Development Commission||PDF 1
|Practical Forging and Art Smithing||Thomas Googerty|
|Making A Wheel – how to make a traditional light English pattern wheel||John Wright, Robert Hurford||PDF 1
|Plain and Ornamental Forging||Ernst Scwazkopf|
|Notes for Forge Shop Practice||James Littlefield|
|Modern Sheet Metal Workers Instructor||Joseph Rose|
|Metals for Engineering Craftsmen||CoSira|
|Mechanical Technology||George Charnock|
|Hand Forging and Wrought Iron Ornamental||Thomas Googerty|
|Practical Smithing and Forging||Thomas Moore|
|Forging of Iron and Steel (Textbook)||William Richards|
|Forge Work||William Ilgen and Charles Moore|
|Forge Practice and heat Treatment of Steel||John Bacon|
|Forge Practice Elementary||John Bacon|
|Farm Shop Work||Brace & Mayne|
|Farm Blacksmithing||J. M. Drew|
|The History of Fisher & Norris
(Need to buy)
|Joshua A. Kavett|
|The American Blacksmith (Magazine)||American Blacksmith Company||Multiple Editions|
|The Blacksmith & Wheelwright (Magazine)||American Blacksmith Company||Multiple Editions|
The Blacksmith and the Welder
|United States. War Department · 1941|
Ironwork: From the earliest times to the end of the mediæval period
|John Starkie Gardner · 1907|
A Handbook of Art Smithing: For the Use of Practical Smiths, Designers of Ironwork Technical And Art Schools, Architects, Etc.
|Franz Sales Meyer – 1896||Archive.org|